Squarespace email campaign and Mailchimp are two completely different and good email marketing tools. Squarespace is a website builder tool. They are also providing the email marketing for your website that was created using Squarespace. MailChimp is an email marketing tool for all types of businesses. Here I compared Squarespace Vs Mailchimp. And let’s see who wins over the other.
- Popular for a website builder
- In-built email marketing
- Pricing based on Campaigns.
- Blog posts & Products in the newsletter
- Outstanding templates
- Better customer support
- Simple automation
- 14 days free trial
- Popular for email marketing
- Can connect to any website including Squarespace.
- Pricing is based on the number of contacts
- Better analytics & Report
- Advanced segmentation
- A/B Testing
- Better marketing automation
- Free version
What is Squarespace Email Campaign?
Squarespace is a great website builder tool. Besides that, they are providing in-built Email marketing also. That is a great thing. But Squarespace email campaign can be used only for Squarespace websites. However, you can connect any other Email marketing tool for the Squarespace website such as MailChimp, ConvertKit, etc.
Who uses: Online marketers who are using Squarespace website builder.
When compared to Mailchimp, Squarespace email campaigns are easy to use. Its user interface is pretty straightforward. You can see all the options on the left-hand side. You can easily navigate from one option to another. Mailchimp is difficult to navigate. Because Mailchimp has so many options to navigate.
What is MailChimp?
Mailchimp is the most popular and free email marketing tool with a lot of features. You will get so many features in its free version itself.
Who uses: Students, Large corporate businesses, Small businesses, Universities, Local clubs, etc.
But Squarespace doesn’t have a free version. It only has a free trial. On the other hand, Squarespace is Simple, Quick, and easy.
Free eBook: Simple Ways to Make Amazing Website
Difference between Squarespace & MailChimp
- MailChimp allows you to create tags and segments to the contact list. But Squarespace email campaign does not allow you to segment the customer list. You can’t tag the contact list based on the behavior of the customer.
- MailChimp has an A/B testing feature. It allows you to test different versions of one email and determine which email is performing more. But Squarespace email campaign does not have that feature.
- When compared to MailChimp, Squarespace emails look stunning because Squarespace is a website builder and also it is design-centric.
- The cost of Squarespace is high compared to MailChimp.
- MailChimp has a free version. Squarespace email campaign has only 14 days of the free trial. But no free versions are available.
Why should you use the Squarespace email campaign over MailChimp?
- Easy to send automation: You can easily send automation using the Squarespace email campaign. Squarespace does not provide a visual automation workflow. Automations are simple in Squarespace. You can send automation based on subscriber activity and customer activity. There are so many templates for automation. And the templates are categorized.
- Squarespace has simple and in-built features like automated welcome emails. You can automate welcome emails and check-ins whenever a subscriber is newly subscribed to your website. You can also send automated thank-you notes, coupons, product recommendations, etc. If you want simple and quick automation, you can use Squarespace.
- Easy to use: The interface of Squarespace email campaigns is very easy to use when compared to MailChimp.
- Adding blog posts & Products in the newsletter: You can directly add blog posts and other content from your website in the newsletter. You can also add products to your website.
- Templates: Squarespace has so many stunning email templates.
- Customer support: Customer support is better in Squarespace than MailChimp.
- Most of the students and beginners will use MailChimp’s free plan & first plan. And also it provides unlimited emails. So there are a lot of IP addresses flagged. That’s why there is a high chance for your email to go to spam. But Squarespace will be used by only premium users and its plan provides only limited Emails. So the Squarespace email campaign’s IP addresses are not much marked as spam or backlisted compared to MailChimp.
Why should you use MailChimp over Squarespace?
- MailChimp has a free version. You will get most of the features for free in the free version itself.
- Analytics & Reporting: You will get better analytics and reporting in MailChimp than in the Squarespace email campaign.
- MailChimp has advanced segmentation. You can create any criteria like geographic location, campaign behavior, purchase behavior, etc. and you can create list segments for that. But Squarespace email campaign does not offer you segmentation.
- MailChimp has a feature called A/B testing. MailChimp allows you to test different versions of one email and determine which email is performing more. But Squarespace email campaign does not have that feature.
- Marketing automation in MailChimp is better than Squarespace email campaign. There is about 30+ automation in Mailchimp. Mailchimp also provides you with a visual automation workflow.
- Custom journey builder: It is a powerful feature of Mailchimp, where you can automate your emails based on the sales funnel. You can add different conditions and tests and you can exactly visualize the flow of the journey.
|Analytics & Report||Tie||4.5||4.5|
|Landing Pages & Website Builder||Squarespace||5||4.5|
There is one more Email Marketing tool that is similar to Squarespace. That is Wix Ascend Email Marketing. To see the comparison between Wix Ascend Vs MailChimp, click here.
1. Customer Geography
Squarespace is getting almost 60% traffic from USA and Canada. The audience geography of Squarespace is given below.
Customer Geography of Squarespace
Mailchimp is getting around 46% traffic from USA and Canada. The audience geography of MailChimp is given below.
Customer geography of Mailchimp
Both Squarespace email campaigns and Mailchimp have a good collection of templates.
Squarespace email campaign has around 70 templates. They have a stunning collection of templates. All of them are very attractive and pretty sharp.
In the Squarespace email campaign, the templates are divided into different categories like Promote a product or service, Promote classes or events, announce a sale, etc. By this, you can easily find the templates that you are looking for. Maybe sometimes, you can’t find the templates that you are looking for. But no worries. Because you can build your own templates from scratch.
Mailchimp has around 100 templates. When compared to the Squarespace email campaign, Mailchimp has a large collection of templates. But most of them are outdated and not usable. In Mailchimp, templates aren’t organized properly. You have to search and find the templates that you are looking for.
Key Take-Aways: MailChimp has more templates than Squarespace. But most of them are outdated and unusable. Squarespace has around 70 templates. All of them are unique, modern, and stunning templates.
Winner of Templates: Squarespace
Squarespace : 1 – 0 : MailChimp
In Squarespace email campaigns, you have two options. Blast and Automation. In Blast, you can send emails to your subscribers. Whether you have 0 or 10,000, you need to upgrade to a plan. because Squarespace email campaign doesn’t have a free version. You can send 3 campaigns per month using the $5 plan. You can send 5 campaigns using the $10 plan. You can send up to 20 campaigns using the $24 plan. You can send unlimited campaigns by only using the Max plan. That is $48.
In the case of Mailchimp, you can create Regular emails, Landing pages, and also embedded forms. You can send up to 10,000 per month using Mailchimp’s free plan itself. MailChimp has more features for creating campaigns than Squarespace email campaigns.
Key Take-Aways: In MailChimp, you can build a campaign of Regular mail, a Landing page, and an embedded form. But in Squarespace, you have 2 options to create a campaign. ie. Blast & Automation.
Winner of Email Campaign: MailChimp
Squarespace : 1 – 1 : MailChimp
4. Contact Management
You can create a mailing list in the Squarespace email campaign in two ways. You can add the contacts manually and you can upload a CSV file.
Squarespace adding Contacts
You can create a mailing list in Mailchimp using several ways. You can add subscribers manually, you can upload a CSV file or TXT file, and you can copy and paste the contacts from the Spreadsheet. In the Squarespace email campaign also you can add a subscriber manually or you can import a CSV file. You can’t copy and paste the subscriber list from a spreadsheet.
There is a major feature that is not present in the Squarespace email campaigns. That is email segmentation. You can’t segment your email list or you can’t add tags to the subscribers in Squarespace. But this audience segmentation feature is present in Mailchimp. You can create simple segments and also complex segments using Mailchimp.
Key Take-Aways: Adding contacts in Squarespace and MailChimp is almost equal. But MailChimp allows you to create list segments. But Squarespace doesn’t allow you to create segments.
Winner of Contact Management: MailChimp
Squarespace : 1 – 2 : MailChimp
5. Email Builder
Email builder of both Squarespace email campaign and Mailchimp is simple.
Squarespace is basically a website builder. Along with that, they are providing us the email marketing also. That is very cool. With this, you can easily integrate your website into email marketing. So many email builder features are not present in Squarespace email marketing. and also so many features are hiding in the email builder itself. You have to click the “plus icon” to find advanced features such as adding a blog, product, or dynamic content.
You can add your blog post from your website to the email builder itself. And also you can add products. There are so many options you can add like product name, price, description, etc. For that, you have to explore the editor. You have to go in-depth. Because these options are coming as sub-options.
Mailchimp’s email editor is user-friendly and easy to navigate. All the options are present in the right side itself. You can simply drag and drop the blocks you want. You have plenty of features in the Mailchimp editor. You can also add a blog or a product using Mailchimp. You can add videos in Mailchimp. But Squarespace email campaign does not have that option. For the free version, you can have all the features in the Mailchimp email editor. But to create Dynamic content, you need to upgrade the plan to $14 /month.
Key Take-Aways: Email Builder of both Squarespace and MailChimp has its own unique features. Both of them are good. We can’t determine a winner here. So it is a tie.
Winner of Email builder: Tie
Squarespace : 2 – 3 : MailChimp
6. Automation Workflow
Squarespace email campaign’s email automation is coming under the $10’s plan. It has also a single-step automation workflow. You can’t create workflows based on customer activity.
Mailchimp has a multi-step workflow based on customer activity. You can create complex workflows using the $14 plan. You will get a customer journey builder + branching points. You will also get send time optimization using this plan.
In Mailchimp, the $9 and the higher plan includes automation workflow. You can create only 1 automation using the free plan. There are about 25 automation workflow triggers based on the various customer activity. You can also visualize the journey of the customer. If you want advanced automation features, you need to upgrade to $9 or to other higher plans.
Key Take-Aways: The automation workflow of MailChimp is greater when compared to Squarespace. MailChimp has a visual automation workflow. It has only a single-step automation workflow. So we have a clear winner here.
Winner of Automation: MailChimp
Squarespace : 2 – 4 : MailChimp
7. Customer Support
Customer support in both Squarespace and Mailchimp is not good. For the free version of Mailchimp, they will not provide you with proper customer support. Both Squarespace email campaign and Mailchimp will take more than one day to respond.
Squarespace email campaign has 24*7 email and Twitter support and Live chat during business hours. So, you can’t get live chat support on weekends or at night. And also they are not providing proper customer support for lower plans. We will get good customer support only in higher plans.
In Mailchimp, you will get 24*7 support and live chat support only for the paid plans. You will get phone & priority support for the $299 plan.
Customer support of both Squarespace and Mailchimp is not so good. But when compared to Mailchimp, Customer support is better in Squarespace.
Winner of Customer support: Squarespace
Squarespace : 3 – 4 : MailChimp
Alternatives of Squarespace & MailChimp
>> Constant Contact
>> Campaigns by Marsello
>> Ship by Product Hunt
>> Ascend by Wix
A detailed comparison is given below.
|Found in||Started in 2003. Headquartered in Baltimore, Maryland, United states||Started in 2001. Headquartered in Atlanta, US|
|Email sign up forms|
It is a simple email marketing tool when compared to Mailchimp. No free version available. Only free trial is available.
It has so many features when compared to Squarespace. Free trial and Free version are available. Mailchimp is better for experts or advanced users.
Squarespace email campaign allows you to build stunning emails with a modern outlook based on your email campaign. Doesn't have saveable content blocks and product recommendation features.
MailChimp also allows you to build customized emails.
It has plenty of email templates. It doesn't have saveable content blocks. Mailchimp has the product recommendation feature only for certain products.
|Templates||Around 80 email templates with stunning and modernistic look.||Wider templates compared to Squarespace.
But most of them are outdated and unusable.
Multivariate Testing: It is just the evolution of AB testing that contains 8 variations instead of two variations that you get in A/B testing. It is only available for a $299 /month plan.
|Contact List Management|
You can add single contact manually by entering info, You can add a CSV file.
You can upload a CSV or tab-delimited TXT file, Or you can Copy and paste contacts from a spreadsheet.
|Contact list segmentation|
|Visual Automation Workflow|
Simple automation. Only available in the paid version. No visual automation workflows are present.
MailChimp offers basic automation workflows. It will create only simple workflows for your campaign. And also there is no visual automation workflows.
|Analytics & Report|
& relatively costly or affordable for the business.
No free version is available.
Starter: $5 /month You will get Campaign reports and analytics, unlimited subscribers, 500 emails/month. etc. 3 campaigns /month with this plan. And automation is also not provided with this plan.
Core: $10 /month 5 campaigns, 5000 emails /month, and you will get all the features including email automation.
Pro: $24 /month 20 campaigns /month. and 50,000 emails /month.
Max$48 /month: You can create unlimited campaigns, 250,000 emails.
Free: Marketing CRM, Creative assistant, Website builder, Mailchimp domain, and Forms & landing pages.
Essential: $9 /month Email and landing page template, Customer journey builder, custom branding, A/B testing, 24/7 email, and also chat support.
Standard: $14 /month Customer journey builder and Branching points, Send time optimization, Behavioral targeting, Custom templates, and also dynamic content.
Premium: $299 /month This plan is for expert builders. Advanced segmentation, Multivariate testing, comparative reporting, Unlimited seats & role-based access, and phone support.
|Customer Support||24/7 Live representative|
|24/7 Live representative
|Top Websites||Top Website that use Squarespace are given below.|
>> Flash Talking
>> Kerry Express
|The top websites that use MailChimp are given below.
>> Blic Online
Squarespace email campaign and Mailchimp are good email marketing tools. Mailchimp has a lot of functionalities. It has a free version. All the basic features are included in the free version itself. The email builder of Mailchimp has a lot of options. You can easily navigate from one to another.
Squarespace email marketing campaign on the other hand is very simple. But it lacks a lot of functionalities like mailing list segmentation, automated workflow, etc. As I mentioned, It does not have a free version. Only a free trial is available. In my opinion, Mailchimp is a better email marketing tool than Squarespace email campaign. Because Mailchimp has a lot of basic functionalities in the Free plan itself.
If you are using Squarespace website builder, and you want to promote your website using email marketing, then a Squarespace email campaign is a good option. You can add your product and blog post from the website itself. Otherwise, you can opt for Mailchimp also.
Top News of MailChimp & Squarespace
- Want to Prove Patience Pays Off? Ask the Founders of This 17-Year-Old, $525 Million Email Empire.
- Intuit’s $12B Mailchimp Purchase Breathes New Life Into Email Marketing
- Mailchimp Debuts Resource For Entrepreneurs Of Color.
- Zendaya Is the ‘She’ Selling Seashells by the Seashore in Squarespace’s Full Super Bowl Ad
- Website maker Squarespace files to go public on NYSE through a direct listing
Sophia Gilbert is an Email Marketing Specialist and Web Application Expert with 10+ years of experience. She meticulously tested and used most of the email marketing tools & website builders in the real field. Here she is sharing reviews and comparisons of different email marketing tools based on her past experience through different companies where she has worked.