Today most of the photographers create their own Website, Portfolio, Blog, Marketing Automation & Everything themselves. Thanks to the easiest photography website builders. Few photographers said, their profit increased more than 600% after creating the website.
Do you want to know how much easy? They are easier than photoshop or any of your photo editing software…!
There is no difference between a professional web designer’s website and your website build with a website maker. Because website building online software becoming so advanced, even web designers start to use site builders. There are thousands of website builders for photographers. But NOT all of them are good enough.
Many site builders are scam and fraud. So before you sign up on any photography website builder, you should check the reviews. Don’t worry. Here we did everything for photographers. Just read this post to know the best ones.
We reviewed Wix, Weebly, Squarespace, Zenfolio, WordPress, Format, 22 slides, SmugMug, Photofolio, Cargo Collective, Fotomerchant, Duncked, My Portfolio, Krop, AllYOu, Photoshelter, Viewbook, Carbomade, PortfolioBox, Redframe, IMCreator, GoDaddy, Pixpa, NeonSky, Virb and 100’s of different website builders. Also, we collected opinions from 1000’s photographers who did their own website. Finally, we made the top 10 website builder for photographers.
Let’s look at the best photography website builder for photographer or hobby artists or building your own website or portfolio or photo blog or Art store etc.1.
Wix Photography – Best For All Photographers – Portfolio, Galleries, Art Store & Everything
If you are a beginner, then you should see this easy tutorial – How To Make A Photography Website Portfolio, Photo Blog, Art Store & Everything
Wix integrated a separate photography section, you can click the above orange link to go there & get started to build your own website.
If you wanted to see Wix full review, then go here -> See Detailed Wix Review By Web Masters 2020
If you want to build a quick & easy website, then Wix photography is the only option that can satisfy you 100%.
Wix is the World’s No.1 Website Builder for Photographers. (Recently Format company claimed it is World No.1 for photographers, but it is not true. Format is losing more customers than they gain..!! But Wix gaining more Photography customers)
From the above chart we can see, Wix gained 4,991 Premium websites, but Format loses 8 website
In Wix, You can choose a lot of ready-made photography websites, that are optimized for the best user experience. Wix is 100% true drag & drop builder & you can start from the blank template also.
You get a lot of gallery related options on the site editor.
If you need 1000’s of GB storage, then don’t worry. Wix offers you many options like third-party storage seamless connection. Just create a Dropbox account, there you will get unlimited storage in the scale of TB. Upload to Dropbox, then you can sign or show your dropbox images on your Wix website & use it as just like the normal photo you upload..! Whenever you upload to Dropbox, it will automatically available on your Wix photo folder..! You can use those photos anywhere on your website. It will reduce the burdening of your Wix web hosting storage & bandwidth.
There are many media and gallery settings that give you more control over your photos.
Layout settings make your website look better as your needs and dreams.
You can add 3D galleries, amazing photography enhancing stuff and more.
The real power of Wix photography comes from its app store.
Wix included a lot of photography-related apps.
How you install apps on IOS or Android, In the same way, you can install apps for your website to integrate different functionalities like art stores, gallery, portfolio, slideshow, rollover image effects, 360-degree image, Zoom image, Instagram, Pinterest photo feeds and social media like buttons etc
Millions of photographers using Wix photography around the world.
You can use those apps without any experience. While you are editing, it gives you 1-minute videos. So you no need outside tutorials.
You can also see more photo-related apps
You can set up your client’s accounts. So your clients can order their photos whenever they want. You can sell physical photo frames or any services or products.
- True pure 100% drag & drop website builder in the world. So you can drag & drop your photos anywhere, even you can overlap with any elements. You can put buttons on the photos or vice versa. See the live action below.
- Wix grids make the responsive website at the same time mobile site editor also available…! So your images look perfect on all devices. If not, you can use the mobile editor to change it..!
- Wix Artificial Intelligence Design Assistant creates a beautiful photography website according to your taste just in front of you..!
- Modify, add different functions, delete, redesign, drag & drop and anything you can do with no knowledge. You can also add your own programs or third-party codes. Wix gives you 100% freedom..!
- Wix made a separate section for photography & it included many templates, apps and many photography favor things like gallery management, portfolio etc
- Wix provides you with tons of optimized premium stock images for Free.
- You can build your own art store within your website in a single click.
- Image SEO Included.
- Monetization or Ways To Make Money as a Photographer – Wix offers you to make money online through all possible ways. There is no restriction. Earn money from Google AdSense, selling digital or physical goods, Make a big online store, Different type of apps for advertisement networking, Business apps, Marketing tools and much more. Unlike other site builders, Wix take 0% commission & transaction fees! That means Wix 100% profit is yours only!
- You can create a booking system, studio business website, tour system, photography blog, portfolio or client proofing or client’s account with eCommerce or payment features within 30 minutes.
- Wix art store is particularly built for photographers & it will do amazing things at your fingertips. You can set your client’s membership system So that they can order their photos, prints or mug prints, photo frames, shirt prints or canvas prints, iPhone case prints etc at any time. You can send offers to their email & accounts.
- If you don’t have photo frame services or printing your client’s photos on iPhone case, Canvas, Shirt or any printing on things, Then still you can give those services & make money more & fast. Wix connects third-party order on print company & it will automatically prints & deliver to your customer & you no need to worry about it. You get the earnings minus the cost of printings. You can do it in a few clicks without any skill. Do you want to know how to do it? I highly recommend to read this Quick & easy tutorial-> How To Make A Photography Website, Blog, Portfolio & Everything 2020.
- Wix Support is rich. You can get support in so many ways. :
- Wix gives you a lot of features. So you may need 2-3 days to get familiar with it.
- Wix support is poor for free trial users
Related Post –
Pixpa – Best For Portfolio & Client Galleries
While you sign up, Use “GoodWish10” in the discount code field to get 10% discount for all Pixpa plans
Pixpa created specifically for Photographers and artists. It is a great platform to create an online portfolio website for photographers and any artists. Pixpa included many integrations that give you more power to create, run, promote, sell and manage your site easily. I liked Pixpa’s WHCC & Fotomoto apps. Using those apps, anyone can easily sell their photos or art and any print products automatically without taking any risk. Pixpa doesn’t take any commission for your earnings. Client proofing & galleries are perfect. I recommend Pixpa.
Pixpa Site Builder Editor is easy and better it is than Squarespace.
See Pixpa client Gallery & and client management tools gives you the real power to make your photography business easy.
- Great Support. 24X7 live chat, Email support, Call support, Helpful tutorials
- Client Proofing
- Sell Your Photo
- You can add more storage at any time.
- Print Photos & deliver using WHCC. Your clients can order their photos to print on their mobile case, canvas, many and many more. WHCC provides Prints Proofing Cards, Wall Displays Books & Albums Boxes, Cases & Packaging Display Products Other Products Backdrops Sample Sets. You can utilize all the benefit on Pixpa.
- You can connect Shopify to Pixpa.
- No commission or transaction fees for any payment or transactions.
- 46 Apps/integrations for different purposes like payment, promotion, email marketing, support, booking, scheduling, calendar events, stats and more.
- You get a 15-day free trial. no credit card required.
- You can get photography-related premium domains for free. (com, net, org, biz, art, online, pictures, photography, photos, gallery). You can those domain names from the Pixpa Hover app. If you don’t understand how to connect, then just ask Pixpa support, they will do everything for free!
- Pixpa platform built specifically to create Online Portfolio websites for creatives like Artists, Photographers. So Pixpa is able to develop more superior tools for Creatives than Squarespace like popular general site builders. You get great & quick support from Portfolio experts from Pixpa. But in the general site builder like Squarespace & Weebly, you may not get such personalized support. See Pixpa vs Squarespace
- The editor is not smooth drag & drop. So if you want more control over your web page element arrangements, then you can’t do here. (If you want to change the look, then you can change the theme without losing your work. All your photos & text automatically arrange according to the theme’s predefined structure. )
- You get fewer features to compare Wix Photography
WordPress – Best For Advanced Photography Website (Difficult)
Choose This if and only if you want advanced options or you are not satisfied with Wix & ready to learn at least 5-10 days. If you are a slow learner, then it may take a few more days. But once you get the grip, then you can do almost anything you imagine.
You Must Read This 10-Minute Beginner’s Easiest Guide, Otherwise You May Not Able To Make Your Website Using WordPress.
SiteGround WordPress Reviews
If you want to make a just quick and easy website, then I recommend Wix. But If you want to make a great and advanced photography website, then choose WordPress. It takes at least 2-3 days to learn it. You may feel difficulty in the beginning. But once you are familiar with WordPress, then you realize the power of it. You can make advanced marketing automation, awesome photo effects, beautiful themes and more.
- You can create almost any type of website in a day as your needs and dreams. (But you need to learn at least 2-3 weeks)
- Most of the websites in the world are created using WordPress..! You can use WordPress as a CMS & Site builder at the same time by installing Elementor for free..!. So WordPress is the only King in website creation method or platform.
- It is easy to use & included a lot of photography functions than any other website builder in the world.
- 70k plugins, 60k Themes..! + Uncountable Millions of plugin/templates/themes/apps from third party market place and it is Growing..! More functions with huge free support tutorials, forums, FAQ’s.
- There are so many free photography themes available. You can change the template without losing your work. The template sets & fits your content and everything automatically.
- Not just WordPress directory, Outside also You can find lots of photography themes & tons of photographers related items on ThemeForest
- You Can Turn WordPress Into Drag & Drop Website Builder. How? – See this easy tutorial
- You can use google drive as external storage for your images using Google Drive WP Media plugin & it is free with 4.2/5 star rating. If you need no more than 20GB storage, then you can upload all your images directly to your website. Note: If you want to optimize images for web, then you should check out this guide -> How To Optimize Images For Web? (92%, But lossless & 4 FREE Ways)
- Even Big Brands like Microsoft News Center, Walt Disney Entire Website, Facebook Newsroom, Star War blog, Harvard Gezzet Online, & all the following entire websites created using the WordPress – Mercedes Benz, Time INC, Tech Crunch, Bata, The New Yorker, BBC America, Sony Music, & Celebrities like Katy Perry, Justin Bieber, Beyonce, Usain Bolt and almost all popular entire websites created using the same method..! Obcourse, This entire site WebsitebuilderLy.com is created using the WordPress.
- You can get Free unlimited subdomains & business emails on SiteGround.
- SiteGround provides you free WordPress Assistant with unlimited FREE support 24X7. Live chat, Ticket system, support guides, phone, email. Siteground won the 2020 Award for its extraordinary support. SiteGround live chat has an average wait-time of only 7 seconds & its toll-free number has an average wait time of only 5 seconds
- Image SEO Included.
- If you don’t have photo frame services or printing your client’s photos on iPhone case, Canvas, Shirt or any printing on things, Then still you can give those services & make money more & fast. Just create a free account (It is forever free) on Printful, then just connect it using the Woocommerce Zakeke plugin. Everything is free. When your customer ordered, then the order sent to both you & Printful. Then Printful will print & deliver. You no need to worry about anything..!! But their company name will not reveal. Your client thinks you delivered the product. You get profit minus the original cost of the material & printing service.
- There are millions of Pros that I can’t list here
- In the beginning, you may feel difficult if you don’t read the tutorial (the link is given above).
- There are a lot of plugins and themes. So you may get confused which one to choose (Tip: For every plugin, you can see all stats. Choose the one that is more downloaded, updated and with good reviews)
- In very rare cases different plugins do not match each other. (Solution is here:-In that case you just deactivate all plugins and reactivate plugins one by one. So you will know which plugin is creating the issues. Just deactivate that plugin and find the alternative to that plugin)
Weebly – A Good Website Builder With Photography Features
Weebly provides you many image related web functions
There are many photo related apps available on the Weebly App Store.
Many Image feed apps also available.
You can Showcase your photography using social billboard streamline photos
Its apps are very similar to Wix but no better than Wix. If you already tried Wix, then you probably don’t like Weebly. It is getting most of its customers from b2b, not b2c. They made deals with many hosting companies to provide free site builder with disabling premium features. Most of the Weebly customers who already bought hosting. So people who probably never tried Wix are the Weebly’s customers.
- Image Editor with many options.
- So many photo-related apps.
- Responsive Website.
- Printful app is available. 47 people reviewed with all 5 stars..! & thousands of active users.
- Analytics and the dashboard is good enough
- It is not a 100% pure drag and drop website builder. Its editor uses strict grids, so you can’t drag and insert functions or apps or images anywhere you want.
- There is no universal undo-redo option.
- Many photography-related apps are paid versions.
- It doesn’t optimize images for the web.
- Weebly backup – restore is the worst system.
Format – Confusing & Difficult Photography Website Builder
Format included all basic photographic functionalities. But it is quite outdated.
- You can sign your adobe lightroom with Format
- Client management & access
- The support team talks nicely.
- They give support, this makes people continue with the Format, But it doesn’t mean this is a superior tool.
- Despite their support, People started to leave Format. Format may soon close. Because In 2020, Every month, it is losing more customers then the gain..! Here are the exact numbers like how many new websites created and dropped in July 2020. (See at the end of this picture)
- Basically, Format is not a true website builder. You get a very basic website edit function.
- No live editor
- Very little storage.
- Limited features.
- Many users reviewed very badly about Format billing practices. Here are some examples
- For the $7.99/month plan, you can create only 15 pages, 3 store products, and 100 images. This is the only company that restricts the pages & products.
- If you want to get the domain, then you need to purchase a 16.99/month plan. It is too costlier than the market average.
- Marketing automation is worse than most of the site builder.
- You cannot able to connect third-party printing on things services. For example, if you want to use Printful, then Format is not capable to connect it. You need to lose the big income that you can easily generate using Printful without worry about anything including the delivery. This is the biggest disadvantage.
- No app store. They inserted More apps, but there is 1 app and another one is not a website app, it is a mobile app. In fact, they’re considering every inbuilt function as apps…!
- Security is not good enough. Hackers can easily attack & hack your website. It is open for Heartbleed Vulnerability. That means, its SSL will not protect your website. Here is the test result.
- The payment system is not good. (Paypal available, but the overall system is not adapted with the modern techs.)
Squarespace – Costly For Its Limited Photography Features
Recently Squarespace photography becoming popular on the web because of its smart marketing, But it failed to hold its credibility. Squarespace failed to compete with Wix or WordPress like amazing website builders. It got very bad reviews.
In the site editor, you cannot drag and drop the images. No user-friendly settings like other site builders.
- There are a few photography templates available
- You can connect with Printful
- Squarespace website loads slower than 44% of all tested websites. This is very poor performance compared to the other website builders
- There is no photography apps/extensions. You need to make your website with their limited inbuilt features. (You can search JQuery apps on various third parties, but it needs some technical skills. There is no verification for that app that doesn’t contain malicious programs Because Squarespace doesn’t have its own app store. But Wix, WordPress, Weebly like website builder verify every app before the approval & it is very easy, don’t need any technical skill to use it.)
- Too costly for its less & outdated features. Monthly plan starts from $16/month, While SiteGround – WordPress starts from $3.95/month & Wix starts from $4/month. For more pricing information see Squarespace Pricing 2020 – 3 Pros & 8 Cons You Should Know
- Not 100% drag & drop website builder.
- You cannot place images wherever you want. Sometimes you may get confused.
Zenfolio – A Good Photographers Website Builder
Zenfolio included all essential tools for photographers.
We don’t see any pros over other website builders. But it is a good
- No live editor
- Confusing settings
- Slow websites.
- No app store
- Very limited
Portfoliobox – Outdated Photography Site Builder
- Support team talks nicely.
- They give support, this makes people continue with Portfolio box, But it doesn’t mean this is a superior tool.
- No Printing on things services like Printful.
- No app store, very limited.
- Your website will load slow
- Security, Speed and all backends are poorly developed.
- It is open for heartbleed vulnerability. Your website will not protect properly.
- This is a plain site builder, there is nothing to say much about it. If I start to list cons by comparing Wix, then I need to list cons about 100+
Smug Mug – Popular For Image Hosting, But Not Good For Website
SmugMug is originally not a website builder. It is famous for wallpaper or background photos. Recently it made a deal with Flickr & Nowadays it is not focusing on website creation for photographers rather selling photos, prints, protection, copyright etc. This means it is not fit for general photographers.
Usually selling a photo online is not good business for all. Only a few people made some money from it. (Remember, there is a big difference between selling photos to your clients via online/offline & selling photos online for an unknown person or business. You can make a lot of money easily by selling your client’s photos. Because there is no competition. They want their photos. Of course, that’s why they booked you to shoot their photos like weddings, pregnancy or party photos. But it is very hard to make money for your professional/business photos like wildlife photography, fashion or like random professional photos. There is a lot of competition. Only the top one gets the most of the money.)
Smugmug included many photography templates.
- A good platform to Sell your pro photos. But photography website plan is too costly compared to others.
- You can upload unlimited photos and videos. (But you need to understand for whom? Most of the people using Smugmug to store photos just like a Google drive. For the website, you need to pay $41.99/month. This is 10 times costlier than the average)
- The original file is always available to download
- Adobe Lightroom sync
- The photographer’s plan is too costly.
- It is mainly focusing on photo storage & downloads for general people.
- No third party apps
- There are a lot of little-little soft cons that is difficult to explain here.
- I impressed with 22slides site editor. You don’t need to pick a template. You can change layouts, designs on different pages. (But it is not true drag & drop website builder)
- It offers you only one plan $10/month. This undermines the different Interest & needs of photographers.
- No app market.
Photofolio – Over Promised Photography Site Builder
- Unlimited pages & contents. It will not restrict to create content within the allocated space (For e.g. Format restrict number of pages even you have a lot of hosting space.)
- PDF creator.
- Cloud hosting
- They quoted unlimited content including images, videos & galleries, But the storage is limited, how it is possible?
- You can not able to use Google Drive or Dropbox photos directly on your website. You need to purchase or upgrade their hosting to increase the storage.
- In their plan feature, you can see the traffic is unlimited, but when you get just 40 concurrent visitors, the site will get down or slow.
- It is losing all gained customers every month just like Format.
- Tools are outdated.
- No third party apps
- Security and a lot of technical flaws and bugs still needed to fix. This indicates, it is Not developed by experts.
- You can’t use Printful or any other print on demand or print your client’s photos on things & delivery like services.
Here is the Best Photography Website Builder List & Summary.
- Wix Photography – Best Overall – Easiest editor, Art Store, Photoblog, A.I. Amazing Features
- Pixpa – Best For Photographers, Portfolio, Client Management & Galleries
- WordPress – Best For Advanced Photography website
- Weebly – A Good Website Builder With Photography Features
- Format – Confusing & Difficult Photography Website Builder
- Squarespace – No client Album showcase & Client Management. Costly for Its Limited Photography Features
- Zenfolio – A Good Photographers Website Builder
- Portfoliobox – Outdated Photography Site Builder
- SmugMug – Popular For Image Hosting, But Not Good For Website
- 22 Slides – Not Much Popular.
- Photofolio – Not Unlimited, Over Promised Photography Site Builder
Besides these 10 photography site builder, We reviewed 100+ site builder including Cargo Collective, Fotomerchant, Duncked, My Portfolio, Krop, AllYOu, Photoshelter, Viewbook, Carbomade, Redframe, IMCreator, GoDaddy, Pixpa, NeonSky, Virb etc. Also, we collected opinions from 1000’s photographers who did their own website. Finally, we made the top 10 website builder for photographers.
In my personal opinion, Don’t try every site builder. It is a waste of time. You don’t get the pros & cons of those site builders unless you really run officially. I highly recommend Wix photography
I highly recommend reading this tutorial (orange color button below) even you know how to build a website. In this tutorial, I explained step by step to make photography automated system, sales, marketing, printing & everything to get the maximum profit.
If you are not satisfied with Wix, then try SiteGround WordPress, But you must read this step by step easy tutorial – How To Make a Photography website using WordPress, otherwise you may struggle. Because WordPress is difficult, but Wix is very easy.
If you got any doubts, you can comment below & get a response within 48 hours directly from the author.
Conclusion ->Final Winner – The Best Photography Website Builder is Wix Photography
Hi… I am Jack, Founder/Editor at WebsitebuilderLy, An entrepreneur with 12 years of Website Creation, Management, Marketing Automation & App Development Experience.